Seven Most Common and Costly Laboratory Compliance Issues
While there are 18 areas of lab business that are most targeted by the OIG, CMS, and DOJ for investigation, most lab investigations will focus on one of the seven mentioned below. If your lab is selected, odds are the investigation will focus on one or more of these areas of lab compliance violations.
- Contract Sales Personnel: The 7 Rules You Should ALWAYS Obey When Engaging ANY Contract Sales Staff, and the One Type of Compensation that Will Never Meet the Exception Requirements
- Billing Company Contract Liability Risks: The 2 Factors the OIG Most Often Cites as “Problematic” and the 7 Critical Criteria That Should Always Guide the Structuring of Your Contracts
- Paying Health Care Professionals for Personal or Professional Services: The 3 Key Exception Requirements Labs Must Meet When Hiring Physicians as Employees, and the 6 Key Guidelines Labs Should Follow When Hiring Health Care Professionals as Contractors
- Placing Lab Employees in a Physician’s Office: The 5 Rules to Always Follow to Make Sure Your Arrangement Meets OIG, AKS and Stark Standards
- Specimen Processing Arrangements: The 5 “Red Flags” the OIG Targets as Evidence That Your Arrangement May Be Unlawful—and More Legally Sound Alternatives Your Lab Should Consider
- Registry Payments: The 7 Criteria the OIG Uses to Identify Potentially Unlawful Arrangements and The Single Most Important Step You Can Take to Help Reduce Risk
- Leasing Or Renting Space from Physicians: The 4 Requirements Your Lease Must Meet to Satisfy the AKS and Stark Space-Rental Exception and the Most Common Complication that Arises from Lease Arrangements
Learn More About Laboratory Investigations & Compliance
These are just seven of the most common and costly compliance traps your lab must safely navigate under the latest OIG, CMS, and DOJ guidelines. If you are unsure that your lab is fully compliant in each of these seven areas, contact us today. Our laboratory advisory services offer an extensive look at your lab to help ensure you pass these common compliance issues during a laboratory investigation. In addition to helping labs meet OIG, CMS, and DOJ requirements, we also provide CAP, CLIA, and COLA laboratory consulting among a variety of other services.